Sunday 1 February 2015

EYOF 2015

Last week I was lucky enough to be representing Team GB at the European Youth Olympic Winter Games Festival in Austria and Lichtenstein.

Getting selected was by far the greatest achievement of not only my career so far but possibly in my life. The criteria for the games had been set by BSS a few months in advance and even though I had met the criteria being selected was far from guaranteed, especially when the lack of early season snow meant I was relying on my scores from last year to qualify.

So when the email arrived confirming that I was selected to go to EYOF I was ecstatic to be part of Team GB. It had been one of my main goals for this season and something I've been eyeing for some time now. It was great to finally get there. I was aware that the selection wasn't just great for me however. I also knew how important it was for my family, my friends, team mates, coaches, ski clubs, school and sponsors - all of whom helped me get there. They all contributed to make me a better athlete so I could get to the games. Thank you guys, you're the best and always will be!

Team Session
So we started the adventure with a team get together on Friday 23rd at Bisham Abbey. Before they built the National Football Centre in Burton this was where the England football team used to prepare for tournaments so I was obviously looking forward to going there. It was also great to finally meet the faces of the team officials that would be taking us, the different athletes from the other sports and the other faces we all know so well in British skiing.

It was really good to have Mark Vinter lead the Alpine Team. He's previously coached all four of us boys selected to represent Team GB at EYOF, something that I'm well aware wasn't just by luck. Personally I'd like to thank Mark for all the years of training he has given us and I hope we did you proud. Paul Telling also joined up with the team. Paul's already been to 3 previous Youth Olympics so provided us with invaluable experience.

Team GB - EYOF 2015
Kitting out on the Friday was really great fun. Being handed a suitcase full of free Adidas kit is never bad really and when dressed in the same apparel we all looked like a team and I started to get the sense of what "Team GB" is all about. After lunch we had a team bonding session and a variety of workshops from media training to drug testing. All of which was very interesting and gave me a lot of new knowledge that I will be able to use should I be able to progress to higher levels of the sport. It was also really good for me to learn things off the skis too because the more knowledge I gain the more it helps me as I look to become a better athlete in the future.
The Alpine boys at kitting out

We got to Austria on Saturday after a long travel day and set about preparing for training on Sunday. It was good to go skiing with the boys I had trained with over the past few years. We had such a good laugh and brought back all the old memories what went on when we were training together. Much as I love racing, there is nothing better than having a blast with the boys, carving some fast turns and popping a jump or three without the pressure of the clock over us. Certainly the Sunday session helped us relax and get Saturday's travel day out of the legs. Most of all however we were looking forward to the race the following day.  But before all that was the Team GB reception party and the Opening Ceremony.

Taking place in the ski jumping stadium, the Opening Ceremony was a brilliant experience, where everyone seemed to be grinning from ear to ear. Waiting to enter the stadium was huge fun and it was a really proud moment for everyone to walk out as a team behind the British flag. Following a few speeches from the EYOF president, Presidents of Lichtenstein and Austria and the chief organisers we swore the Olympic oath and the flame was lit. The games had officially started and it was time to go racing.

The events of the opening day GS didn't exactly to go to plan. The first run was pretty solid, I skied the steep strongly, carried speed onto the flat and set up really well for the late kicker. Where so many had been late and scrubbed speed but I was spot on. That early in fact that I hooked my arm inside the gate and jarred my thumb against it. I knew I'd damaged it immediately - the pain was intense - but I managed to negotiate the final eight or so gates and crossed the finishing line without losing too much time.

Holding a ski pole - Plan B
After checking the hand out, the physio and team doctor told me that I had snapped the ligaments in my thumb and wanted to pull me out of the race. Needless to say that was never happening. So with the help of a few paracetamol and a pole taped to my hand I started the 2nd run. That it ended it pretty soon after the start was hardly a surprise, I reacted to the jolting pain of catching my thumb, missed to turning point and was rewarded with a double ejection on the steep, a face plant followed by a head into the net to top it off. A crash that acted as a metaphor of the day.

It was a good experience for me however and a character building one at that. To have all my ambitions snatched away from me like that was tough to take but it was important to me to ski the 2nd run because I wouldn't have wanted to give it all up there and then. Without injury I think I had a real shot at making the top 25/30 so at least I know where I am. After the race was done we went down to the medical centre. The various scans and X-rays showed that whilst the ligament had stayed in one piece it had fractured my thumb bone where it connects and that was me out for the rest of the week. Massively disappointing, however it gave me a chance to watch some other sports and enjoy EYOF a bit more without the added pressure of racing.

The following day we went to watch ski jumping, which is absolutely crazy. No wonder we have no stand out ski jumpers in the UK, who would even try jump that far! I'd have jumped the lower jumps but the 110 metre hill is a bit too far for me. It was great to see the other nations fly so far though and it was cool to see such a different side of what can be achieved on skis. As well as that we went to watch ice hockey, which is utterly brutal. After a few fights, square ups and a few goals Slovakia beat Austria 10-1. Not great for the home nation but riveting viewing.



Fun at the Ice Hockey
It was also cool to support the other skiers in their races. They held their own against some of the very best in Europe and the stars of tomorrow. I was so disappointed to not be able to pull on the bib for the slalom but it's cool to cheer the others on. Especially at the end of the week with the parallel pro-slalom. We drew Austria so there was no expectation. However in a parallel pro slalom there is always chances. We lost, but everyone was neck and neck with their opponents and they raced hard and fast. With a few crashes and DNF's we went out giving it our all and that's all they could have done. We all raced hard to get there and we all continue to race hard to achieve our ambitions, it's never going to be plain sailing every day.

That evening saw the Olympic flame extinguished at the closing ceremony, all the medals had been handed out, kit had been swapped, friends and memories had been made. OK, I travelled home with an injury and didn't get the chance to truly show what I could do but I got to wear the Olympic rings and had some great experiences that I will remember forever. Thanks to Sarah and all of Team GB for such a brilliant week. Thank you also to everyone who helped me get here and thanks to everyone who follows and supports what we do.